ARE YOU AN ENERGETIC PROFESSIONAL WHO WANTS TO SUPPORT A GREAT TEAM!
SUMMARY DESCRIPTION: The Senior Manager - Benefits is an experienced business partner responsible for strategic planning, design, compliance and managing and overseeing the administration of Family Member benefits. This person plans, develops, recommends and implements new and revised benefit programs, policies and procedures to meet the Company's strategic goals and competitive practices for various business groups. The Senior Manager assures thorough audits that benefit programs are consistently administered in compliance with Company policies and government regulations. Serves as member of the Human Resource Team, working in conjunction with other HR Leaders to support the goals of the organization. Assumes additional responsibilities as assigned.
- Develop communication tools to achieve employees’ participation in benefits programs.
- Maintains working knowledge of government regulations, pending legislation that impacts benefits, and benefit program trends and practices among similar organizations.
- Oversees implementation of new benefit policies, and communication of information to current and former Family Members about benefit programs, procedures, changes and government mandated disclosures.
- Monitors and evaluates the company’s benefits programs including medical, dental, life & AD&D, vision, flexible spending account, long term care, wellness, EAP, employee discount program, unemployment programs, and time off policies.
- Oversees the maintenance of benefit records and files, ensuring security and confidentiality standards are met and maintained.
- Plans and implements government and community exempt and non-exempt benefits surveys to determine Company’s competitive position and ensure corporate subsidizing benefits objectives are achieved.
- Oversees implementation of new benefit programs and/or modifications to existing programs through evaluation of announcement materials and distribution plans.
- Ensures company compliance with the provisions of the Employee Retirement Income Act (ERISA), the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), Health Care Reform.
- Responsible for the preparation of reports required by law to be filed with federal and state agencies, such as the IRS and other regulatory agencies.
- Oversees Family Member meetings and arranges for enrollment of Family Members in various benefit plans.
- Develops and maintains external cooperative relationships with corporate business partners that enable and support performance strategies and organizational effectiveness.
- Coordinates procedures with various external business partners, vendors and agencies and resolves administrative concerns, including technological issues, with carrier representatives.
- Assists Family Members and their families with questions on benefit plans to ensure timely and equitable resolution.
- Resolves any administrative concerns with carrier representatives including technology issues.
- Coordinates procedures with Payroll and various agencies (insurance companies, Milliman, long-term disability insurance, etc.).
- Negotiate contractual obligations with vendors; reviews quarterly and annual financial reports regarding effectiveness of plans and their usage for strategic direction in managing health care cost.
- Works with accounting, legal and tax departments to ensure accurate financial reporting and compliance with all tax laws, guidelines and procedures.
- Responsible for stewardship of individual general & administrative budget.
- Assist with monitoring various benefit plans and operating expenses to maintain budgetary compliance.
EDUCATION: (Minimum formal education the job requires)
- Bachelor’s degree, MBA preferred
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE: (Minimum experience the job requires)
- 6 years experience in Benefits Design and Administration, preferably in the restaurant industry
KNOWLEDGE: (Level of knowledge required to perform the job effectively)
Proficient in MS Office Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Proficiency in JD Edwards preferred
- Intermediate professional or theoretical knowledge and functional concepts, practices and procedures of a particular field of specialization in the execution of assigned duties and responsibilities
- Basic understanding of departmental structure and policies with a basic understanding of the structure and policies of Whataburger Restaurants LLC
- Basic understanding of budgetary concepts and procedures• Basic ability to delegate projects and get work done through others
- Basic understanding of performance review process
- Ability to prepare and present ideas and recommendations to colleagues, manager and direct reports with ample notice and preparation
PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATION: (preferred but not required)
- Certified Employee Benefits Specialist (CEBS), or CBP (Certified Benefits Professional)
- PHR or SPHR
WORKING CONDITIONS/TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: (Environmental conditions inherent in the job, such as physical demand, hazards, and care for the safety of others)
- Exempt employees are expected to work the necessary time to satisfactorily fulfill job responsibilities
Working conditions exist to satisfactorily fulfill job responsibilities
- Must be able to travel occasionally
- High pace environment
- Able to multitask effectively
- Able to be detail oriented