SAN ANTONIO — May 13, 2013 — Following unprecedented buzz about Whataburger’s popular condiments coming to an H-E-B store near you, the two Texas companies announced today Fancy Ketchup, Spicy Ketchup and Original Mustard should arrive in stores just prior to the Memorial Day weekend by Saturday, May 25. The highly anticipated Whatatfries product — a potato chip version of the French fry — should hit stores around the end of June 2013.
H-E-B will carry both of Whataburger’s ketchup varieties, Fancy Ketchup and Spicy Ketchup, in 20-ounce bottles and its Original Mustard in 16-ounce bottles at all of its stores, including Central Market, Mi Tienda and Joe V’s Smart Shop. Bottled condiments will not be available for purchase at Whataburger restaurants at this time.
“The level of excitement from our customers over our announcement of Whataburger ketchup and mustard coming to H-E-B stores was unprecedented,” said H-E-B Group Vice President of Grocery Procurement Reade Ahrens. “H-E-B is proud to announce the products will be available to H-E-B customers in time to celebrate Memorial Day weekend.”
“We’re incredibly pleased with the enthusiastic response from customers of both Whataburger and H-E-B,” said Whataburger President and CEO Preston Atkinson. “It’s no secret Whataburger has really good ketchup and mustard, and, like our burgers, they have a loyal following all their own.”
H-E-B is also launching a new, unique product called “Whatafries” that leverages Whataburger’s legendary brand. The H-E-B product is a potato chip version of the French fry, cut from real potatoes and available in a 7.4-ounce bag. These crispy, delicious French fries are ready to eat straight from the bag. Original Flavor H-E-B Whatafries will debut this summer on the snack aisle exclusively at H-E-B stores.
What People are Saying about Whataburger Ketchup and Mustard Coming to H-E-B:
(content provided directly from Whataburger’s or H-E-B’s Facebook pages)
• When I saw this picture and realized you will now be selling me a full bottle of Spicy Ketchup... I literally heard angels singing, the clouds parted and a ray of sunshine shined right down on me and I wept with joy. – Skylar L-S.
• Oh sweet heaven above, finally! Large quantities of Whataburger ketchup without having to pester their employees for extra packets to hoard for later, yes please! – Shannon M-T.
• Omgosh!!! I'm dying! I don't like ketchup but I like whataburgers! Can't wait to dip my fries in all three! – Haleigh C.
• Do y'all understand how life changing this is?! I'm a Texpat living in DC right now and already have family members in Texas lined up to ship me some as soon as it hits shelves. – Stacy H.
• Whataburger and HEB…Gotta love Texas! – Jose O.
• This is a noteworthy moment in mankind's history and should be recognized as such. Throughout our history there have been those who would try to minimize milestones such as this. They were there when these United States were formed and when we landed on the moon. Now, more than ever, we must stand together and usher in this new era that will forever change the world as we know it. Hooray ketchup, spicy ketchup and mustard respectively; it's a new day. – Mark J.
Whataburger has focused on its fresh, made-to-order burgers and friendly customer service since 1950 when Harmon Dobson opened the first Whataburger as a small roadside burger stand in Corpus Christi, Texas. Dobson gave his restaurant a name he hoped to hear customers say every time they took a bite of his made-to-order burgers: “What a burger!” Within the first week, people lined up around the block for his 25 cent, all-American beef burgers served on five-inch buns. Today, the company is headquartered in San Antonio, Texas, with more than 740 locations in 10 states with sales of more than $1 billion annually. Visit www.whataburger.com for more information on the company or become a fan on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/whataburger.
H-E-B, with sales of more than $19.4 billion, operates more than 350 stores in Texas and Mexico. Known for its innovation and community service, H-E-B celebrated its 105th anniversary in 2010. Recognized for its fresh food, quality products, convenient services, and a commitment to environmental responsibility and sustainability, H-E-B strives to provide the best customer experience at everyday low prices. Based in San Antonio, H-E-B employs more than 80,000 Partners and serves millions of customers in more than 150 communities.
For Further Information Contact:
For media inquiries:
Brian Dolezal, (210) 476-6547
Hahn, Texas for Whataburger