SUMMARY DESCRIPTION: The Zone Coordinator Field HR is a business partner responsible for overseeing the Human Resources function for one zone, with responsibilities to include employee relations and education as well as administrative functions.
- Assists with on-boarding and/or acclimating support staff (i.e. new Area Managers)
- Responsible for handling different concerns capably and with flexibility.
- Handles concerns simultaneously and adjusts readily to changing conditions and requirements.
- Communicates any changes in personnel or training in a timely fashion.
- Handles and responds to any SERTEC complaints involving Human Resources in the respective Zone(s).
- Gathers information, consults others, evaluates alternatives and makes timely decisions.
- Conducts HR investigations for all Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), Department of Labor, unfair treatment, sexual harassment and discrimination claims.
- Maintains responsibility for the timely and accurate processing of all unemployment and EEOC claims and keeps Operations abreast of status.
- Ensures promotion, exception, and merit increases are within wage plan guidelines and all required training and employment qualifications are met before approving Personnel Action Notices (PAN’s) for promotions and salary changes.
- Interprets company policies and procedures appropriately and communicates company procedures, policies and benefits effectively to Family Members and applicants.
- Updates HR Activity Log.
- Provides recommendations on employee relations issues and performance management issues.
- Assists with intake and submittal of requests for Whataburger Family Foundation.
- Conducts HR Unit Evaluations at restaurants in the Zone.
- Oversees verification of and approval of employment of re-hires.
- Monitors all Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) leaves to ensure compliance with the plan and any correlations with EQPP.
- Monitors Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) leaves to ensure compliance; reviews eligibility requirements and works with Corporate HR on administration of FMLA.
- Follows proper approval process when purchasing, and tracks invoices accordingly.
- Assists Recruiting Manager with recruiting efforts.
- Assists in controlling trainee and management turnover.
- Attends Zone and/or Area QBR and/other Support meetings.
- Works with Field Director on final submissions for all EEOC claims.
- Updates and reviews Performance Improvement Plan (PIP) Tracker.
- Assists in providing information on Unemployment Claims, as needed.
- Runs Review Date and Inactive Reports; provides information to Field and follows-up, as needed.
- Follows-up on expired I9 supporting documentation and/or I9 or ID issues noted during HR Unit Evaluations.
- Monitors company operations for compliance to basic EEOC regulations.
- Educates management as to responsibilities in maintaining an environment free of discrimination.
- Effectively supports Whataburger family members and the company to ensure fairness in our employment practices.
- Available to assist with Recruitment, as needed.
- Actively seeks further education to broaden expertise in Human Resources and field operations.
- Volunteers for projects as needed, i.e., incentive programs.
- Works collaboratively with others (internally and externally) to achieve common objectives, goals and results.
EDUCATION: (Minimum formal education the job requires)
- High school diploma/GED equivalent, or equivalent work experience
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
EXPERIENCE: (Minimum experience the job requires)
- 6-12 months experience preferably in restaurant industry
- 2-4 years supervisory experience in Human Resource
- Public speaking skills and previous recruiting experience preferred
- Multi-site environment strongly preferred
- Demonstrated ability to communicate well with the general public; ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with management, vendors and co-workers
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
- 0-6 months experience preferably in restaurant industry
KNOWLEDGE: (Level of knowledge required to perform the job effectively)
- Proficiency in MS Office Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Proficiency in JD Edwards preferred
- Basic professional or theoretical knowledge and fundamental concepts, practices and procedures of a particular field of specialization in the execution of assigned duties and responsibilities
- Elementary understanding of budgetary concepts and procedures
- Elementary understanding of departmental structure and policies with an elementary understanding of the cross- functional structure and policies of Whataburger Restaurants LLC
- Elementary ability to delegate tasks and get work done through others
PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATION: (Certificate requirement appropriate to position)
- None required at this time however, incumbents will be encouraged to pursue PHR and/or HR Certification(s)