Use your skills and experience to help the Whataburger Team succeed!
SUMMARY DESCRIPTION: The Planning & Analysis Manager is a tactical business partner responsible for analyzing financial information to determine trends, identify potential problem areas and develop strategies for corrective action. Works with senior level staff to implement these strategies. The Planning & Analysis Manager is responsible for the coordination and implementation of the quarterly budgeting process, analyzing performance vs. the budget, documenting and communicating material variances, conducting research geared towards root cause of the variances, and developing options geared toward the prevention of future variances. Position covers the design, development, and implementation of Ad-hoc analysis and related reports. The Planning & Analysis Manager will work closely with other members of the Finance and Accounting teams as well as Business Managers and Planners throughout the various business segments as needed.
- Communicates effectively with all levels of department personnel and company management and senior level executives.
- Interacts with department personnel regarding P&L and budgeting questions, and ensuring all personnel are fully informed.
- Acts as liaison with PRS team as the accounting representative to ensure data accuracy and processes.
- Continually looks for ways to improve data mining and process efficiencies with various financial planning and analysis systems.
- Creates and documents process and procedures for Function.
- Completes special projects, as assigned.
- Maintains and prepares Work Papers for several general ledger accounts.
- Develops and maintains budgets within the Longview budget tool and looks for process improvements and efficiencies.
- Tracks, reviews and reports performance according to Plan identifying causation of significant variances with recommendations.
- Summarizes information in a monthly write up.
- Responsible for understanding and summarizing budget variances to actual results.
- Coordinators reporting to Manager will take the analysis and financial statement classification to an increased level of accuracy and risk mitigation.
- Provides supporting data for monthly, quarterly presentations for PPO, Strategy Council, MLT.
- Coordinates budget change requests and works with senior level management to ensure accurate budgets and forecasts.
- Prepares and present ideas and recommendations to colleagues and upper management as assigned.
- Prepares standard and special reports for senior management as assigned.
- Implements policies and procedures to improve control and efficiency.
- Provides supporting data for Executive presentations for Board and Banker’s meetings.
- Prepares quarterly and annual budgets by creating templates, applying planning guidance/governance and coordinating with respective counterparts in the various business segments.
- Develops and maintains external cooperative relationships with corporate business partners that enable and support performance strategies and organizational effectiveness.
- Demonstrates fiscal responsibility with all Company assets.
- Analyzes, summarizes, and presents executive level summaries on a monthly basis (G&A binder).
- Analyzes, summarizes and presents all supporting documents and reports such as, but not limited to, Marketing reports, Manager In Training Reports, and People reports.
EDUCATION: (Minimum formal education the job requires)
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related field or any equivalent combination of education and experience
EXPERIENCE: (Minimum experience the job requires)
- Demonstrated intermediate-level ability to communicate, influence and negotiate decisions while motivating assigned staff
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
- Demonstrated ability to lead and develop high performing team
- Demonstrated working knowledge of employment laws relating to employee relations and personnel administration
- 6 years experience preferably in restaurant industry
KNOWLEDGE: (Level of knowledge required to perform the job effectively)
- Proficiency in MS Office Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Proficiency in JD Edwards preferred
- Ability to analyze complex data and interpret accounting, and financial information
- Ability to develop and maintain a service orientation and comply with corporate objectives and legal requirements
Intermediate professional or theoretical knowledge and functional concepts, practices and procedures of a particular field of specialization in the execution of assigned duties and responsibilities
- Basic understanding of departmental structure and policies with a basic understanding of the structure and policies of Whataburger and its various business structure
- Basic understanding of budgetary concepts and procedures
- Basic ability to delegate projects and get work done through others
- Basic understanding of performance review process
- Ability to prepare and present ideas and recommendations to colleagues, manager and direct reports with ample notice and preparation
PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATION: (Certificate requirement appropriate to position)